This package aims at monitoring DNS service Availability and Response Time.
This package automatically configures the ServicePilot Agent in order to monitor availability and performance of DNS services.You can also test the resolution of a specific DNS entry
Network Flows - It is necessary to ensure network connectivity between ServicePilot and the monitored device. In case of a network infrastructure with a firewall, all of the following flows must be opened:
- UDP/53 (DNS): Between ServicePilot Agent and DNS Server
- ServicePilot Manager minimum version: 8.5
- ServicePilot Agent minimum version: 8.5 installed and configured
Before adding a resource to monitor, make certain that all pre-requisites are in place and that ServicePilot Agent is communicating correctly with the ServicePilot Manager. Resources can be added to ServicePilot configuration using Views Configuration web interface
- As an administrative user of ServicePilot, open the ServicePilot web interface.
- Navigate to Administration. The Configuration > Views web page will open.
- Click on the view in which to place the new resource in the Views hierarchy on the left of the interface. The View editor section will show the existing view contents.
- From the Packages list on the right of the interface, click and drag the application-dns package into the View editor and let go.
- The Resource properties dialog box will open to allow resource configuration.
- Click OK to close the Resource properties dialog box. Note that the dialog box will not close if required parameters are not set.
- Click Save to apply the new resource to ServicePilot configuration.
- Check if the object has been created in your map and that indicators are populated after a few minutes.
|Object Type||License object Consumed||Condition|
Key field notes
- In the Monitoring Policies tab, specify the policy or policies to apply to the resource
- Parameters tab:
- DNS Server IP address: Specify the IP address for the DNS server, as resolvable by the machine on which the ServicePilot Agent is running
- Hostname/FQDN to resolve (Optional) Specify the hostname to resolve in the DNS Server
- Polling Interval (sec) Set the polling interval. The 60 second default can be increased as required.
- Timeout (sec) Set the timeout. The 5 second default can be increased as required.