# Web Check
This package monitors a Web server Availability and Response Time using ServicePilot Agent.
This package automatically configures the ServicePilot Manager to collect statistics from a Web Server using the ServicePilot Agent by checking Server Response Time to HTTP(S) requests.
Network Flows - It is is necessary to ensure network connectivity between ServicePilot and the monitored device. In case of a network infrastructure using a firewall, all the ports below must be opened:
- TCP/80 (Default) (HTTP): Between ServicePilot Agent and Web Server
- ServicePilot Manager minimum version: 8.5
- ServicePilot Agent minimum version: 8.5 installed and configured
Before adding a resource to monitor, make certain that all pre-requisites are in place and that ServicePilot Agent is communicating correctly with the ServicePilot Manager.
Add resource using Views Configuration web interface
- As an administrative user of ServicePilot, open the ServicePilot web interface.
- Navigate to Administration. The Configuration > Views web page will open.
- Click on the view in which to place the new resource in the Views hierarchy on the left of the interface. The View editor section will show the existing view contents.
- From the Packages list on the right of the interface, click and drag the application-webcheck package into the View editor and let go.
- The Resource properties dialog box will open to allow resource configuration.
- Click OK to close the Resource properties dialog box. Note that the dialog box will not close if required parameters are not set.
- Click Save to apply the new resource to ServicePilot configuration.
- Check if the object has been created in your map and that indicators are populated after a few minutes.
|Object Type||License object Consumed||Condition|
Key field notes
In the Monitoring Policies tab, specify the policy or policies to apply to the resource
Basic Parameters tab:
- Web site URL (without http://): Specify the URL of the Web site
- HTTPS?: Set it on to use HTTPS instead of HTTP
- Method: Select between GET or POST HTTP request methods
- POST Parameters: (only in POST mode) Specify the required post parameters
- Polling Interval (sec): Specify the time interval (in seconds) at which ServicePilot will poll the web server (default 60)
HTTP Parameters tab:
- HTTP Login: Specify a username or a Domain\User if the user is in a Windows domain (if required)
- HTTP Password: Specify a password (if required)
- Use Proxy?: Indicate if the web request should be directed through a proxy
- Proxy Definition Name: If using a proxy then specify the name of the proxy definition used. Proxy definitions are added using the application-web-monitoring-proxy package.
Other Parameters tab:
- Monitoring Periods: Indicate if web monitoring should be limited to a list of monitoring periods. Web monitoring periods are defined using the application-web-monitoring-period package.
- Polling Interval (sec): Set the polling interterval. The 60 second default can be increased as required.
- Indicator Extraction Type: Either a regular expression can be used to extract indicators or a list of indicator extraction definitions can be used.
- Data #: A comma separated list of elements used to search of an indicator in the resulting web page. The first element is a quoted search string. The second parameter is the number of delimiters from 0 upwards to skip after the search string. The third parameter is the length of the element to extract (set to 0 to take characters between two delimiters). The next parameter is yes if numeric conversion is requested or no otherwise. The last parameter is a | separated list of hexadecimal ASCII character codes defining the delimiters.
- Regex: A regular expression pattern match. The brackets in the pattern match will be used to fill in the indicator number specified by the ? placeholders. Indicators go from 6 up to 7.
Test Parameters tab:
- Expected HTTP return Code: HTTP return code expected by for the request made.
- Expected value for Data #: An optional indicator equality check. If added and the returned value is not equal to this field then the object status will reflect this error condition.