What is Microsoft IIS?
Internet Information Services (IIS) is a web server software created by Microsoft for hosting websites, web applications, and other content on Windows-based servers.
IIS monitoring involves tracking the performance and health of an IIS server. It is essential for maintaining the health and performance of websites and applications hosted on IIS. By tracking key metrics such as request rate, error rate, and response time, administrators can identify potential issues before they impact users, and make informed decisions about server capacity and configuration. Regular monitoring can also provide valuable insights into user behavior and traffic patterns, helping to optimize the user experience.
The ServicePilot IIS application package collects metrics related to IIS server usage, such as request rate, error rate, and response time to help help ensure optimal server performance, identify potential issues, and provide insights for capacity planning.
How to monitor Microsoft IIS?
ServicePilot makes it easy to monitor Microsoft IIS requiring only the installation of a ServicePilot Agent along with minimal configuration on the target server. A resource of the appmon-iis package then needs to be added via the ServicePilot web interface.
ServicePilot monitors Microsoft IIS server counters collected using WMI. Details collected include:
- Microsoft IIS Activity: Bytes sent and received, Uptime, Current and maximum connections, Number of requests...
- Microsoft IIS Cache: Cached hits and misses and usage ...
- Microsoft IIS Website: Website State, Website requests and rate statistics ...
- Microsoft IIS Queue: Queue size, Request and Rate statistics ...
- Microsoft IIS AppPool: AppPool request rate, percent error response statistics ...
- Microsoft IIS Process: IIS Process statistics ...
How to install a iis resource?
- Use your ServicePilot OnPremise installation or a SaaS account.
- Add a new iis resource via the web interface (
/prmresources) or via API (
/prmpackagespage), the default ServicePilot agent or another agent will be provisioned automatically.
Details of the iis package are located in the
/prmpackagespage of the software.
ServicePilot enables you to deliver IT services faster and more securely with automated discovery and advanced monitoring features.
By correlating the technology IIS with APM and infrastructure monitoring, ServicePilot is able to provide a more comprehensive view of an organization's IT environment.
This allows IT teams to quickly identify and diagnose issues that may be impacting application performance, and take corrective action before end-users are affected.