What is PHP-FPM?
PHP FastCGI Process Manager (PHPFPM) is an alternative PHP FastCGI implementation with some additional features useful for sites of any size, especially busier sites. It's an open-source server application programming interface (SAPI) that allows communication between a web server and PHP application code.
PHP-FPM is bundled with the official PHP distribution since version 5.3.3. It's designed to handle heavy traffic and provides advanced features such as adaptive process spawning, which can be beneficial for performance.
How to monitor PHP-FPM?
ServicePilot makes it easy to monitor PHP-FPM with no configuration required on the target server. Simply add a resource of the appmon-phpfpm package and specify the URL of the status page for PHP-FPM.
The statistics gathered in this way for URLs and pools are:
- Accepted connections: The number of requests accepted by the pool
- Listen queue: The number of requests in the queue of pending connections (see backlog in listen(2))
- Max listen queue: The maximum number of requests in the queue of pending connections since FPM has started
- Listen queue length: The size of the socket queue of pending connections
- Idle processes: The number of idle processes
- Active processes: The number of active processes
- Total processes: The number of idle and active processes
- Max active processes: The maximum number of active processes since FPM has started
- Max children reached: Number of times, the process limit has been reached, when pm tries to start more children (works only for pm 'dynamic' and 'ondemand')
- Slow requests: Number of slow requests
How to install a phpfpm resource?
- Use your ServicePilot OnPremise installation or a SaaS account.
- Add a new phpfpm resource via the web interface (
/prmresources) or via API (
/prmpackagespage), the default ServicePilot agent or another agent will be provisioned automatically.
Details of the phpfpm package are located in the
/prmpackagespage of the software.
ServicePilot enables you to deliver IT services faster and more securely with automated discovery and advanced monitoring features.
By correlating the technology PHPFPM with APM and infrastructure monitoring, ServicePilot is able to provide a more comprehensive view of an organization's IT environment.
This allows IT teams to quickly identify and diagnose issues that may be impacting application performance, and take corrective action before end-users are affected.