What is LightHouse?
LightHouse is a Node.js library developed by Google. It's designed to analyze web pages and collect performance metrics and insights regarding modern web development best practices.
Google LightHouse can be used for performance budgeting, checking for adherence to accessibility standards, testing Progressive Web Apps for compliance with standards and best practices, and more. It's a valuable tool for improving the quality of web applications.
How to monitor LightHouse?
ServicePilot makes it easy to monitor LightHouse with no configuration required on the target service. Simply add a resource from the ServicePilot appmon-lighthouse package to your monitoring environment.
Some of the monitoring statistics gathered in this way are:
- Performance: The Performance score is a weighted average of the metric scores. Performance is based on: First Contentful Paint, Speed Index, Largest Contentful Paint, Time To Interactive, Total Blocking Time and Cumulative Layout Shift.
- Accessibility: These checks highlight opportunities to improve the accessibility of your web app. Only a subset of accessibility issues can be automatically detected so manual testing is also encouraged.
- Best Practice: These checks highlight opportunities to improve the overall code health on your web app. Best Practice is based on: Use HTTPs.
- SEO: These checks ensure that your page is following basic search engine optimization advice. There are many additional factors Lighthouse does not score here that may affect your search ranking, including performance on Core Web Vitals.
- PWA: These checks validate aspects of a Progressive Web App.
How to install a lighthouse resource?
- Use your ServicePilot OnPremise installation or a SaaS account.
- Add a new lighthouse resource via the web interface (
/prmresources) or via API (
/prmpackagespage), the default ServicePilot agent or another agent will be provisioned automatically.
Details of the lighthouse package are located in the
/prmpackagespage of the software.
ServicePilot enables you to deliver IT services faster and more securely with automated discovery and advanced monitoring features.
By correlating the technology LIGHTHOUSE with APM and infrastructure monitoring, ServicePilot is able to provide a more comprehensive view of an organization's IT environment.
This allows IT teams to quickly identify and diagnose issues that may be impacting application performance, and take corrective action before end-users are affected.